Friday, April 28, 2017

3D printed Stereo pinhole camera

This is so cool!

I had the pleasure of testing this jewel of a camera this past month and it is a lot of fun!

It's 3D printed, easy to load, use, and is robust. The coolest part is you can make stereo photos with it without doing a lot of work.

Just load and go!  

Here's the link to the camera and where to order it.

pinholeprinted flyer6x6-stereo camera

And here are a few samples from it.


You can view this as stereo by relaxing and looking at the photo, but kind of focusing your eyes at a place past your monitor.  Once the two images divide into three, concentrate on the middle image and you should be able to see it as a 3D photo. Crossing your eyes will give you an effect, but it will not be correct.  Try viewing straight on, and just relax.

Once you learn the trick to "free viewing" it's hard not to see them as 3D.


Here's another one to try.



The camera has a tripod fitting so you can easily use it with a tripod, but the bottom of the camera is really flat, so setting it on any firm surface works too!



Most of these were made using 3-5 seconds exposures in bright sun. The black and white is Fuji Acros 100.

Another one, this time in color.

This one was a bit funky since I used some color Lomo film, but the effect is still great! The backing paper on the Lomo film is notorious for being a bit weak and causing some weird effects.

  Another one in color.

 As you can see, it's a lot of fun to have and use. The ideas are limitless!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Becky. All of these images work for me better by crossing my eyes rather than uncrossing them. I have no problem doing both methods. Are you sure you have them the way you intended?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, They were shot to be viewed in the bino mode, or as they are presented without crossing your eyes. I have heard others say they can cross eye view them too...so it must be a unique quality to the viewer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. To be honest Becky, I'm 100% you have them the wrong way around. The most obvious one is the one with the garden seat. Even without trying to view them in stereo, if you look at the alignement of the seat with the building in the background, it's pretty clear the left eye image is on the right and vice versa.

      Delete
    3. Becky, just remember images in the camera are inverted so, if these were shot in bino mode, turning them up the right way (as a pair) to view will also swap right and left.

      Delete
    4. this is very curious to me now... I guess I need to investigate. They are shot as pairs, and come out of the negative strip just like this. The text on a couple show this. So if the pairs are switched as you say, then when I scan, I need to separate them and swap their places....hmmmm.

      Delete
  2. Those are nice quality pinhole images. I'm wondering what technique is used to make the pinholes.
    I also had no problem viewing the images on your blog using the usual cross-eyed method. For me, the images on the camera site did not work so well. I don't know if the larger size of the images on your blog made them work better for me, or if there is some other issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, it's most likely the size of the images. I have to have them just the right distance and size in order to view them.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Pancakes, but mostly brownies

It occurred to me today that I had not shared a recipe in a while. Today I fix that! I love a good brownie.  Actually, I adore a good b...