Monday, March 6, 2017

A Busy Mind

Sometimes my brain just won't shut down. it thinks too much, especially at night when I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep. My mind churns.

I have tried various things to quiet my mind, like meditating, counting backwards from 100, getting up and eating a teaspoonful of peanut butter...you name it and I have probably tired it.

* If you are wondering about the peanut butter, it's because I read that if you go to sleep with a little bit of protein in your tummy, you will sleep better. I don't have any trouble sleeping, it's the falling asleep that is the problem.

One thing that has helped, is keeping a pencil and paper at the bedside to write down thoughts or things I don't want to forget to do the following day. It seems part of the mind churning has been going over and over lists of things to do, that I didn't want to forget, so keeping a little list has helped ease the anxiety of forgetting and has let me fall asleep easier.

But why even worry about such things? That's a big question I have. Why worry? I'm retired and don't have to do anything important, so why does my brain insist on churning thoughts.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this and remedies if you have some.

In the meantime, here's an accidental double exposure which is kind of what the inside of my brain might look like when I'm thinking too much before falling asleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sometimes Pancakes, but mostly brownies

It occurred to me today that I had not shared a recipe in a while. Today I fix that! I love a good brownie.  Actually, I adore a good b...