Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Spotmatic love

Have I ever mentioned my love for Pentax cameras?

Not to go overboard with the backstory, my first camera as a working adult was a Pentax K1000 that I bought new in 1985 for $100.  

It came from a Kmart that was going out of business, and I needed a camera to do some freelance newspaper work.  I still have the camera and it still works like a champ.

Fast forward to a week ago.

While perusing the online auctions, I found a near mint Spotmatic F with a Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens for sale.  I've lusted for one of these for quite a while and as you have probably guessed I pushed the "buy it now" button and the camera is mine!

In my excitement, I totally tanked the first test roll through the camera.  I mis-fed the film in the tank and most all of the photos were unevenly developed.

Here's one that was salvageable of some flowers.



You can see a blemish on the right side of the frame where the film kind of got mashed in the developing reel. The background going to nothing is nice though.

This next one is a mystery shot from that same roll.

I'll just let your imagination make it into whatever you want to see....I kinda like it.

After seeing this disaster of sorts, I reloaded the Spotmatic and took it out for another test roll.

Apparently still excited, I forgot to change the ISO from 400 (the first roll) to 100 for the second roll.

ARGHHH!

Anyway, these are a bit better although more punchy than my taste prefers.

The focus of the lens is buttery smooth and I really like the heft of this camera.

There's just something about using an all manual camera with manual focus that makes me happy.



This lens also makes decent close ups. Closeups really aren't my thing, but it's nice to have a lens that handles them easily.



The Spotmatic F will be my goto camera this Spring. The days are getting longer and the weather is shaping up to be a nice one. There may be some astrophotograhy in the future as well.

In the mean time, I sent the camera off for a cleaning and adjustment  to Eric Hendrickson  

In about a week the camera will be back here and making photos just in time for some Spring color! 

I can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. The images that came out look great! New cameras are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about new cameras, even if they are older than dirt. I love cameras!

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed the challenge of shooting a lot of old cameras, but when I really want to ensure getting the picture with no compromises I always choose the Spotmatic. The camera and the Takumar lenses set the standard for all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do no wrong with a Pentax. They are robust without being overwhelming.

      Delete
  3. That's gorgeous selective focus in that first one!

    I love my Pentax MX ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I have a MX on my wish list....someday I will get one. For now I'm quite content with the K1000 and Spotmatic I have. My sister just gave me her old ME Super, so I'll try it out after I replace the mirror bumper. Pentaxes, rock!

      Delete

Sometimes Pancakes, but mostly brownies

It occurred to me today that I had not shared a recipe in a while. Today I fix that! I love a good brownie.  Actually, I adore a good b...