Friday, January 27, 2017

This Time Last Week

That sounds like a title for a book....

This Time Last week I was on a train headed to Colorado Springs.

Right now I should be reading and writing, or cleaning house, or splitting firewood, but here I sit scanning photos from "this time last week".



This is a view out the observation car.  We had assigned seats, but if you've ever ridden a train, you know they have these cars that have windows all around for panorama views of the scenery passing by.  I love it! 

To just sit and watch tumbleweeds, antelope, trees, mountains, cows, and fence-lines glide past like a John Ford movie with no sound except the slight clickety-clack of the rails.

Our first stop after leaving Albuquerque was at the Lamy Station.  It's a small charming spot just southeast of Santa Fe.



I shot these through the observation car window with a little Olympus Infinity camera given to me by a friend.  The camera is quite nice and fits in a pocket easily and is totally automatic. No worries about settings, just turn off the flash and concentrate on framing, composition and fun!

I used hand rolled Delta 100 film.  It's a nice combo.


The auto focus worked well as long as I was close enough to the window that the IR beam didn't focus on the window itself, which you can see happened in the shot below and made the old church a blur.



I'll continue with a few more shots of the trip in a day or two...but in the meantime I really need to go outside and split firewood....until then, have a great weekend and don't work too hard.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great trip. I'm going to find a way to go that route sometime.
    Aside from its other virtues, the 35mm focal length of the lens on the mju seems to result in getting a lot more pictures made for me. Just seems a better fit with my world view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip. Where do you connect via Greyhound bus to Colorado Springs?

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Pancakes, but mostly brownies

It occurred to me today that I had not shared a recipe in a while. Today I fix that! I love a good brownie.  Actually, I adore a good b...